View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Setting up hammer 
Site Admin

Here's my tutorial for setting up hammer.
  • First off DL and install Valve Hammer editor 3.4. Note: for those running 64 bit os's, the installer doesn't like the " (x86)" in "Program Files (x86)" so you have to install it like you would on 32bit windows by changing the "Program Files (x86)" in the install path to "Program Files". A commen path would be C:\Program Files\Valve Hammer Editor\
    http://sc.cartman-2000.net/mapping/hammer_v34.exe

• After you install it upgrade it to the newest version of hammer by dl'ing this and extracting the exe inside it to the place you installed VHE.
    http://sc.cartman-2000.net/mapping/VHE35.zip

You can run hammer at this point but were still not ready to set up hammer for SC yet.

• Next step is to dl Zoners half-life tools from this link(Note: 64bit windows users can dl the 64 bit version of the tools, but the 64bit tools won't work on 32bit windows.). Once you get it dl'ed, go to the directory were you installed hammer and go into the tools directory. Make a directory name zhlt, once you do that open the zip and drag and drop the files inside to the zhlt directory. There was a new version of the build tools released a little while ago, you can find them here.
    32bit:
    http://sc.cartman-2000.net/mapping/zhlt34x86final.zip
    64bit:
    http://sc.cartman-2000.net/mapping/zhlt34x64final.zip

Zoners half-life tools directory with the bild tools. Note: I'm using the 64 build of these tools.

• Next step is to dl the fgd file for SC so you can use SC's custom entities. Go to were you have VHE installed and go into the fgd directory, create a directory named svencoop. once you do this DL and extract this file into the directory you just created.
    http://sc.cartman-2000.net/mapping/sven-coop4.07.zip

Sven Co-op FGD directory.

For the next section of the tutorial you'll need GCFScape, if you do not have this google it, dl and install it. You'll need this to extract files from gcf's.

• Next step it to create the directories to save your map files in. Create a directory in the root of your drive named mapping, it has to be in the same partition that hammer is in. After doing that create a folder named maps or the name of your mapping project in the mapping folder then create a folder named build(you need this directory for the custom build options later in this tutorial.).

• Then we need to extract the .wad files HL uses, for usage in hammer. Before extracting them we need to create a directory named wad in the mapping directory you just created, if you created the mapping directory in C:\ then the wads directory will be C:\mapping\wad\. Once you do this look for the half-life.gcf in <path to steam>\steamapps\ open it(if you get an error here goto options>volatile access, to enable you access to the gcf while steam is running.) and go to the valve directory inside it and extract all .wad files you see to your wads folder.

Mapping directory. I have a lot of crap in mine...

• An optional thing you can do, after you get the wads extracted, is create a directory named custom in your wad directory, to place custom wads into, to keep default hl wads and custom ones separate.

Wad directory.

• The next step is to enable model viewing in hammer. You will need to open your half-life.gcf file again if you closed it. Extract the valve folder in the gcf to your <path to steam>\steamapps\<username>\half-life\ directory.

Woot! :) We can finally start to config hammer to make maps for SC.

• Open hammer don't do anything but go to tools>options, go to the game config tab. select edit next to the configuration drop down box. If there's already anything in there you can delete them since they aren't needed for SC. Hit add and type SC. after doing that you need to add the fgd file for sc. hit add next to the game data files box and make your way to were you extracted sven coop's fgd file. Next step is to set the default classes for point and brush entities. for point entity class enter info_player_deathmatch for the solid entity class enter func_wall.

Next field down is were your half-life directory is located, it will be located at <path to steam>\steamapps\<username>\half-life
    Next field down is were your mod directory is located, it will be located at <path to steam>\steamapps\<username>\half-life\SvenCoop
    Next field down is were the game directory is located, it will be located at <path to steam>\steamapps\<username>\half-life\valve

For the rmf field, set to were you have your maps directory in your mapping folder.
    Hammer game config.

• Next step is to set up the options under the build programs tab.

for game executable enter in <path to steam>\Steam.exe
    CSG field is <path to ZHLT>\hlcsg.exe
    BSP field is <path to ZHLT>\hlbsp.exe
    VIS field is <path to ZHLT>\hlvis.exe
    RAD field is <path to ZHLT>\hlrad.exe
    For the field asking were to put compiled maps enter in the path to your svencoop's maps directory.

Build programs config.

• Next step is to add texture wads to hammer. navigate to your wads directory and add wads you want to use to this. One other thing you need to do in this step is add the zhlt.wad file which is were you put zhlt build tools. A note of caution, don't add to many wads to the list or it can cause problems with either the way hammer loads your map and/or the way your map runs in-game. For your first map you most likely only need the halflife, liquids and decals wads in your list, the zhlt wad always stays in your list.

Wads config tab in hammer.

• Next step is optional but it is nice to do to get greater view distances while viewing models in hammer. under the 3d views tab were it says model render distance set it to max and that will give you greater view distance with models in hammer, only downside is if you have many models in your map it might slow down hammer a little.

Hammer config 3d view.

At this point everything should be set up correctly and you should be able to start on making your map.

• Next step is to setup your build options under file>run (you need a map loaded in hammer to get to this.). under the normal setting put this in the extra game parameters field -applaunch 70 -game svencoop -dev

• Next step isn't needed unless you want to pack textures into the bsp so you don't need to release wad files with your built maps. This step we configure the expert build options.

modify the options in the compile/run commands box to resemble this.

Change Directory C:\mapping\build
    Copy File $path\$file.map $file.map
    $csg_exe $file
    $bsp_exe $file
    $vis_exe $file
    $light_exe $file
    Copy File $file.bsp $bspdir\$file.bsp
    Copy File $file.pts $bspdir\$file.pts
    $game_exe -applaunch 70 -game svencoop -dev +map $file

The first line you need to change the path to were your build directory is.

The $csg_exe line is were you can use -wadinclude to include textures in your wads in the bsp, note: when entering the wads name you don't need to enter the extension if you don't -wadinclude do partial name matching for wads, but be careful not to set something that will pack textures from one of valves wads or it will make your bsp unnecessarily big.

You can add the -extra flag to the $light_exe line. This will give you higher quality lighting at the cost of longer compile times, use this when building a map that will be released to the public.

Both of these flags have to be set after the $file flag on there respective lines.

Advance config for map compiling. I have more advance compile options in mine, ignore the bumprad line, you don't need it in yours.

This should be just about it for this tutorial, I hope I got everything right, if I screwed up on something post about it. I don't know of any good tutorials for making the map, if anyone knows of one you can post a link to it in this thread.

[ Steam group for my SC game servers. - Cartman-2000's image host ]

Last edited by cartman-2000 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 7 times in total.

used full size pics for most of the tut pics and added a link to the new build tools.

Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:25 pm
★★★★

Give Screenshots to have a more clear explanation.

Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:59 pm
★★★★★

I dont get this part, help!

# Next step it to create the directories to save your map files in. create a directory in the root of your drive named mapping, this has to be in the same partition as your wads directory is in. After doing that create a folder named maps or the name of your mapping project in the mapping folder then create a folder named build(you need this directory for the custom build options later in this tutorial.).

Edit: Oh i get it now why do you change that to this for a better understanding?

# Next step it to create a folder where your map files are saved in. create a folder in the same folder where your wads are placed (Usually inside valve hammer editor)named Rmf. Remember this has to be in the same partition as your wads directory is in or else your map wont compile right. After doing that create a folder named maps or the name of your mapping project in the mapping folder then create a folder named build(you need this directory for the custom build options later in this tutorial.).

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:26 pm
Site Admin

I wouldn't really want to place the wads in a deep path. there's a bug in hammer in .map files, if you use them instead of .rmf, that will cause your map to fail to load in hammer, I think it happens if the "wads" line in the map file is to long, the deeper the path the longer that line will be.

Oh and the the fgd file in this tut is old, this was written before sc4, the fgd currently in this tut is for sc3.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:09 pm
★★★★★

Hmm i didn't know about this bug, thank you but a quick question. What if instead of C:/Program files/valve hammer editor The path is C:/Valve Hammer Editor, would it still be as buggy if the wads file and rmfs file is in the folder?

Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:12 pm
Site Admin

I geuss I could rewrite it a little bit, I actually have my wad files in the directory \mapping\wad\ and custom wads in \mapping\wad\custom\ (to keep things a little more organized and to keep the default hl wads and custom ones separate.) with that you can get about 7-8 wads in hammer before it'll cause .map files to fail to load.

One way to fix the error in .map files if it happens is to open it in a text editor and delete the wads line, you will be able to open it in hammer after that, but you'd have to do it every time you open the map in hammer if you don't reduce the number of wads in hammer.

This bug only effect .map format files and not .rmf. What format you want to use can be your own preference, .map's are 3-4 times smaller then .rmf and are saves in a text format so it's possible to edit the file directly, .rmf supports vis groups which .map doesn't but it's in a binary format which can't be edited directly, and doesn't compress as well as .map's, so the size of the file, if you were to send it to someone else would be bigger then .map files.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:32 pm
★★★★★

Thanks Cartman, you have helped me a lot. Thank you for taking your own time to explain important details.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:31 am
★★★★

cartman-2000 wrote:

For the next section of the tutorial you'll need GCFScape, if you do not have this google it, dl and install it. You'll need this to extract files from gcf's.

http://tinyurl.com/dyw4ow

Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:06 pm
★★★★★

noobs gfcscape is not needed
just use
nems batch compiler
its made by the same guy
but it a guided user interface for all the halflife compile tools
its very simple to use once you get started
and it doesn't seem like it has frozen when its adding lights

Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:32 am
Site Admin

GCFScape is needed if you want to have model viewing support in hammer for the hl1 files, hammer's way to old to read gcf's like source hammer can, and before you ask, source hammer can't be used to map for hl1.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:54 am
★★★★★

well cart
thats not entirely true
you can make the map
just you can't add entities and textures
you can export the file to .map i believe
or just as an vmf or vmt or whatever its called
and you should just be able to rename it as .rmf
then open it in hammer

Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:19 pm
Site Admin

Without gcfscape you can create entities in hammer, but you won't be able to see what they are since there will be no view model for them and you can't use hl textures in your maps, if they aren't already extracted in your valve directory, you can still use sc wads though.

There are 2 file formats goldsrc hammer supports is .rmf and .map, .vmf is a source hammer file format and isn't supported in goldsrc hammer.

I've been talking with one of my old hs friends(who was a sc mapper a couple years ago.) about setting up a tutorial like website for mapping, if we get around to setting it up, I'd probably put this tut' on it.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:32 pm
★★★★★

Quote:
[*]The next step is to enable model viewing in hammer. You will need to open your half-life.gcf file again if you closed it. Extract the valve folder in the gcf to your <path to steam>\steamapps\<username>\half-life\ directory.

you can jsut copy the models folder from sven and replace the existing models folder in vavle
this allows you to view and even use the models in hl and hl mapping
while giving you some more player models as well

Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:09 pm
Site Admin

Then you will likely get some problems with some of the npc models in half-life, and some of the weapons too. Sc has custom animations on some models that would probably cause some problems in half-life. The animations for sc player models are a bit different then hldm ones, sc models have 182 animations while hldm ones have only 77 animations, the animations would probably looked pretty screwed up in hldm for a sc model..

Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:48 pm
Site Admin

I updated the tut a bit, added the sc4 fgd to it as well.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next