View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 AN IMPORTANT POLL FOR ALL OF THE PLAYERS ON THE MC SERVER! 

Should we reset all the worlds for the new 1.9 update?
YES 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
NO 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 1

AN IMPORTANT POLL FOR ALL OF THE PLAYERS ON THE MC SERVER! 
★★★★★

Hello everyone, my name is Supercoke. Some of you may know me from my time spent on the server in the past, so of you may not know who I am at all. For those of you who don't know, I was the first person ever to get the VIP permissions on the server you play on.

The main world (the one you spawned in when you first joined the server) was first generated about a year ago when the server just started. Minecraft has gotten many more updates since then, but I am glad the world has not been reset for those miniscule advancements toward what we have gotten in the latest update, unlike some of the other servers I have been to in the past.

Some of you may ask: But Supercoke, why don't you just go farther out to spawn new land?
1: Because of Bukkit's epic memory leaks that seem to explode out of control when you generate more land on the server, causing the server to crash and mess up. this kind of crash is not only annoying, but can only be fixed with a manual restart by the big man himself.
2: The main world's distance limit (The max distance you can go before the server stops you from going any farther.) is 10k chunks from spawn. Each chunk is 16X16 in size. Not alot to explore before you start hitting the limit and lagging the server to a crash.

Some of you may worry about all those AWESOME things you have built during your time on here, don't worry. It is possible to take a "snap-shot" of those buildings and paste them into out new world where ever the owner likes.

So my question to you is:
Would you like the worlds to be reset for the new 1.9 update, or would you rather keep the worlds we have now?

PROS:
New awesome land generations.
More common New-ish ores, like Lapis Lazuli. (I've had some difficulties finding it because of where I live.)

CONS:
You lose all your inventory, chest items, everything, and start brand new.

Your choice, discuss.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1634
A one-button grenade throwing script for Sven Co-op, made by me:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1646

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:29 pm
Site Admin

The memory leaks have been fixed mostly, the server can run for up to a month or so before needing to be restarted even if there's been a somewhat heavy amount of generation going on. The main world is set to a 10k unit radius(already had stuff going out to around 7-8k units from spawn by the time i got the size limiting plugin on the server.), but the others are set to a 3k unit radius.

I can create another world for the new update.

The forums skin seems to be bugged up for voting in the pool, you can vote if you switch to phpbb's default skin.

[ Steam group for my SC game servers. - Cartman-2000's image host ]

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:13 pm
★★★★★

Do we really need *another* 2 worlds? I mean, yeah, that does sound like a viable option, but that would put us up to 7 worlds!

7 !!!1!

Still, the community can choose. Poll is still open if you guys think reseting the worlds would be good or not, its up to you. Although Cartman has the final say in what goes or not.

If you do end up making a new world, can it be named after me? :mrgreen:
Like, Cokesworld/Cokesworld_nether.... or something...

PS: Not sure whether Bukkit can make it so that this new world doesn't have it's own nether. If so, awesome. But still puts it at 6 worlds.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1646

Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:59 pm
★★★★

Quote:
Still, the community can choose.

Well can they really? i mean for those of us who have vip or admin which obviously includes you, supercoke the super donator, can pretty much start over and be fine. what about all the other users who have spent months or more mining and building and such?

Unless cartman is willing to let us admins log and replace everything item wise these normal users have, then warp them into the new world, I'd say no, another separate world sounds fine to me. I just don't see it being that fair for us to be able to replace whatever we want fast with our perks while normal users, the bread and butter players, are essentially gimped out of everything they've done.

This topic is one of the reasons I searched high and low for a reliable server to start on, because what's the point if it gets wiped out eventually?

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:36 am
★★★★★

You make a valid point there, But me getting started up would be just as hard for everyone else. It's not like I get all my items handed over to me, I've spent countless hours mining, dying, farming, building, and un-building to get to where I am today. Just so, it would be well worth it to get to have all the cool land generations that have come out in 1.8 and soon-to-be 1.9. At least, for me it would. I guess that's why a new world would be good to have. Like I said, it is possible to copy and paste the most prized works of art we have on the server, and other things that players would hate to lose.

Poll is still open for another few weeks (25 days from the original post).

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1646

Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:33 pm
Site Admin

Only about 30-40% of the main world has been generated, about 50-60% of the hostile mobs world and most of the skylands world has been generated so far(Manually generated it a week or 2 ago as I'm not sure how much the sky dimension generator has been changed, It might even by removed as it was only an alpha generator and the primary normal generator sort of does the same as its max height is now 256 blocks I think instead of 128 like before.), and the nethers are generally much smaller then the normal type worlds are.

I can create a world without its own nether, that is handled by a plugin so I can control that.

If a world was recreated, World edit does support making schematics, or copy and pasting things, so things can be transfered over but that would take some time and it really only handles stuff on the surface.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:41 pm
★★★★★

Ever since you mentioned the new world thing I've been kinda leaning toward that. It would give players the ability to keep their items and valuables, and still not force them to make a choice.
If there will be a new world, my only wish is that my prized American flag be copied over to my new residence at Cokesworld (not the official name, but still kinda pushing this. :mrgreen: )

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1646

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:08 pm
★★★★

I know some people on the server that would really be upset if they lost their work for an update. Some are really impressive works to. So maybe making this other world would be a better solution.

Btw, have you looked into raising the population cap? 10 just seems to be to low, since more and more people are joining minecraft/this server. There has been a few times where I did get the "full" message when logging in. Just was curious.

Thanks for all you guys do! This is a great server!
Kia

Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:59 am
★★★★★

My vote is no deleting old stuff, poll won't let me vote and I'm to lazy to switch skins to do so.

Also KiashiSama the max number of players is based on the servers ability, not so random number we picked. I don't think it can handle anymore unless people start donating tons of money so we get buy better.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:55 pm
Site Admin

Increased the hostile mobs world border by 1k units to 4k units.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:35 pm
★★★★

BUMP!, lets refresh this topic

1.9 is coming up followed by The full release of Minecraft, the main world itself is ungodly old towards the spawn. and there is just alot if corrupted chunks, and too many damaged abandoned building there.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:42 am
Site Admin

Well I won't delete the old world, I could create a new world in 1.9, it would be possible to change the main map used by the server to the 1.9 map by setting the server to use the new one, one with a different name form the current main one, without changing the current world name should preserve most but the oldest plugin data on the server(warps, homes, and lwc locks.).

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:01 pm
★★★★★

Couldn't we just get rid of the nether and in it's absence the 1.9 world? I mean.. No one really even goes to the nether at all to be honest. That and there's horrible connection issues there for some odd reason, Probably map rendering problems or something.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:47 am
Site Admin

I could just have a single nether all together on the server, but that would mean taking the current 2 off if I want to make a new nether with the new main world.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:48 pm
★★★★

I don't understand how things work with the intergration of the old and new verions and stuff, so from what I am reading....

The main world we currently are in...you would make a new world for 1.0 and our buildings and such would....merge to it? kind of thing? Well I guess as long as I have my home in the new version...I'll be happy...however you do it LOL

For the Nether, we do need that place, escpecially with the new stuff added there (nether brick :D ). With the size of the server, we would probable just be good to have 1 Nether. Also, since the warps broke and some people weren't able to get back to their nether places, so getting rid of the 2 current nethers may not be a problem (could be wrong).

Kia

Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next