View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Server hosting... 
★★★★

Very irritating. Before, in '08, i was able to host servers just like that, with no issue.
But now, that I have to deal with router, im having problems.
1. For one, the way the router works is quite strange. Its a Westell model, but the management is Verizon, and its just the port forwarding i may have issues on. Its an old model, and we've been using it for a year now.
Ok, so the way port forwarding works on this verizon wireless router broadband management console is by:
Type of Port: (TCP, UDP, FTP, etc..)
Source: (Single, Any, Range)
Destination: (Single, Any, Range)

I've figured out how to do the ports for Warcraft III hosting, but what I tried with HLDS hosting didn't work, and the way i tried was like this:
Type of Port: TCP
Source: Any
Destination: Single -27015
Type of Port: UDP
Source: Any
Destination: Single - 27015

After trying that, it didn't work, the server doesn't show up on the "INTERNET" tab, nor a friend can join the server.
Can anyone provide some help with these port forwarding issues?
Also, portforward.com does NOT have my Westell model on their list(Its an A08), and other people has had issues with the hosting, not HLDS related, but with other games.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:52 am
Site Admin

Do you have a firewall on your comp or the router? And did you put the right ip address in the local target for the port forward?

Also if your running the server on the same comp your playing on, steam has a tendency to delist the server from the server browser list, but other people should still be able to play on it if they have your external ip address, if it's delisted.

[ Steam group for my SC game servers. - Cartman-2000's image host ]

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:44 am
★★★★

Well, heres just two quick screenshots (Both are too big, so... just click the link)
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/8205/screenyd.png
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/6242/screeny2t.png

Also yes there is a firewall on comp and router.
Well I'm not really planning on HLDS since HLDS would love to give me errors, but hosting listen will crash the game, so im having to use HLDS.
Really? Steam just delists it? Something I never knew, and thought that was the problem a long time ago.
So if I give one of my friends an external IP (which is the one displayed when viewing servers), it is possible for them to join?
Isn't just right clicking the name on friends list then left click "join game" the same thing, because it basically brings you to their serving showing the same IP, though when we tried it didn't work. I only saw my server in favorites, and in history.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:31 pm
Site Admin

For the one hosting the server, no, as it'll show your internal/private ip address to your friend when your playing on your server. If the ports are forwarded correctly then they should be able to connect if they have your external ip address.

You could have used my image host for those images, you can resize them when uploading them, and they'll get converted to jpg which generally uses less space.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:43 pm
★★★★

Yeah I saw it, but i tend to use image shack alot.
I'll register on your image host.
So I can host a server using HLDS, only thing would be people wont see it on the server list, or that if my friends have the external ip they can join?

Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:07 pm
Site Admin

Generally if you host the server on the same comp steam is running on steam can delist it(tried running my models server on the comp that has steam and it was delisted.), if you have another comp you can run it on then steam won't delist it.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]