View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Unwitting Participants in Player Model Testing 
★★★★★

If I only have one player model that I'm working on and want to test it, but still want to play on a server somewhat seriously, I'll go and replace the "player.mdl" in the models folder (the "default" player model) with whatever I'm working on.

So what happens? Two things:
1. Any dead-player-model "prop" placed in a level by the designer now shows up as this model (death pose only). Okay... but not that fun...
2. More importantly, any players using a custom model that I don't have will also show up as this model. Meaning that some of you are unwittingly helping me test my models :twisted: *insert evil laughter*

ahem...Ok, fine... it's not really that sinister... but still adds a little more fun to the game.
Another thing, it's nice being able to tell whether someone is using a custom model or actually using the "helmet.mdl" intentionally.

Recently, someone in-game said Cartman-2000's model was scary... but for some reason I didn't have this particular model, so he showed up as this - my current modified default:
Attachment:
c4a2b0001a.jpg
c4a2b0001a.jpg [ 102.59 KiB | Viewed 11788 times ]

This model is still WIP, but was originally intended to be a "prop" model replacement. I haven't really decided if I want to release it as an actual player model though...

PS: to Cartman-2000: If you remember which model you were using at the time (hunter-something?), do you know where I can download it?

Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:23 am
Site Admin

Go to the re1 map on my server, and I think the model name is re_hunter, If you haven't updated your re_* models to sc4 anims yet, you should probably delete yours and redownload them since I converted them to have new anims.

[ Steam group for my SC game servers. - Cartman-2000's image host ]

Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:44 am
★★★★★

Everything in my re folders should be updated, but I couldn't find any hunter player models; and I've got about 26 different re_ player models... but no re_hunter.mdl anywhere...

Is it a player model that looks like the hunter monster model?

If it's set to download with all the other content on the RE levels, it should automatically download without me deleting anything since I don't have it, right?

Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:23 am
Site Admin

Yes the player model looks like the re hunter model. If you don't have it already, then you should be able to dl it when you play that map next time.

The full name of it is RE_UMBRELLA_HunterA

Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:42 am
★★★★★

Cool, thanks! :wink:
(and here I thought I had all of the RE_ player models :P )

EDIT: I just found a fairly complete looking RE pack (dl'd for reference, they're all 3.0 models - but I'm missing quite a few).

The hunter is a pretty cool looking model, but this one needs some repairs done, it looks awful from some views (probably not noticable in-game, but I'm trying to be picky so I can improve my skills :bounce: ).

Just curious: how's the model on your server look? If it's the same as below, I may just practice my editing on the one I've downloaded (and update the anims). If yours is an improved version, I won't bother with messing around with the one I have and download it from your server :)

It's got a lot of the same mistakes I used to make :lol:
Attachment:
hunter.JPG
hunter.JPG [ 64.6 KiB | Viewed 11781 times ]

It's kind of hard to tell, but it has seams in the mesh all over the place and a lot of vertices are assigned to the wrong bones.
/EDIT

Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:11 pm
★★★★★

the skin for in that screen shot looks pretty sick :D

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 pm
★★★★★

Thanks for the model link you your signature. I got the 134 models. :)

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:20 pm
Site Admin

I just converted the anims in mine so mine looks screwed up too. The texture alignment is off a bit too, but it was like that too in the origional hunter model used in the re1 map. there's also a screwed up vertex in there too, probably not assigned to any bone.

Attachment:
huntera.jpg
huntera.jpg [ 176.07 KiB | Viewed 11781 times ]

Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:46 pm
★★★★★

Those stray vertices were assigned to the pelvis or something weird; the texture alignment I can't really do much with. I think what they did when they re-rigged it is used the Model Cleaner in MS3D:
Attachment:
mdl_clnr.JPG
mdl_clnr.JPG [ 11.96 KiB | Viewed 11834 times ]

For those that don't know, pressing "Yes" will put visible seams throughout the model's mesh. I found out the hard way. BTW, I just looked and most of the old 3.0 RE_ player models have the same type of seams.

Anyway, I tried to "un-seam" it (was like picking pepper out of fly-poop), reassigned some verts and did some other stuff... but honestly, I bet the difference isn't even noticeable in-game :/

Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:22 pm
Site Admin

Here's the origional re1 hunter.
Attachment:
hunter.jpg
hunter.jpg [ 75.41 KiB | Viewed 11778 times ]

It doesn't have the lines in it like the player model does, it might be better to apply the anims to this model instead of the player model one.

And I've heard you had somewhere around 300 player models converted to have sc4 anims, would it be possible to send them to me, It would probably be enough to start up a player models server. I have somewhere around 670 player models, but only a small fraction of them have actually been converted with the new anims. You could 7z the entire thing and send it in xfire.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:00 pm
★★★★★

I was considering doing that, but it would have to be completely re-rigged - I'm not too good at that yet :(

As for the player models, I'll pm you.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:49 pm
Site Admin

the only way to send them to me really, without using a hosting service, is to upload them to me on xfire(Only chatting service I use which supports file sending.).

[edit]
the lines in that model are quite noticable if you have glow or the electric crowbar on.
[/edit]

Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]